MOAR, I say

On Tuesday morning, as I was dressing for work, I checked the forecast, as I always do, and the radio meteorologist announced that we would be enjoying temperatures in the low 20s (Celsius) - in other words, summer has arrived. Which is great - we've had a bit of a crummy spring, which is not really unusual for Calgary, this city seems to only really have two seasons. (Unfortunately, most of the year is spent in the cold one.)

So, warmer weather is here. Fantastic - I can show off the pedicure I got, um, three weeks ago. I opened my t-shirt drawer, and then realized I have a small problem. In colder temperatures, I can make a t-shirt more presentable for work by pulling a cardi over it. This is a pretty necessary move, as many of my tees are actually intended by the manufacturer for use as pyjamas. (No, I didn't realize that when I bought them. Well, at least not the first two, but I like them, they're soft and comfy, so yeah I'm gonna keep wearing them.) The problem is that my current collection of cardis is almost all DK and worsted weight - you know, pretty warm garments that are fantastic when there's a chill in the air, but perhaps less than ideal when the temperature climbs to a point where you're not shaking your head at the sight of other people in shorts.

I solved my problem by pulling on a store-bought cardi on Tuesday, and again on Thursday, but I've pretty firmly settled on the idea that I NEED to knit myself a lightweight cardi. Or two. Or maybe even three.



Turns out I'm sort of poorly equipped to solve my problem, stash-wise - I rustled up two batches of fingering weight yarn and one batch of sport weight. Everything else I have in sweater quantities is DK or worsted. (To be perfectly fair, some of those 'DK' yarns are pretty thin - I bet they'd give me the sort of sweater I want too, but given how bad I am at making decisions, for now it's probably a good idea to limit my options.)

And the pattern? I'm leaning really heavily toward Atelier. Like, I've spent some time sifting through the completed projects on Rav to see if anyone has successfully made this sweater using fingering yarn. (The answer seems to be yes. Not many, but yes.)

I think I'm ready to launch here.

Yes, I realize that there are only five more work days in this semester for me (yipes), and I absolutely will not be able to complete this sweater in time for me to actually wear it to work. Yes, I realize that I have two partially finished sweaters waiting in the wings here - one really only needs one lousy sleeve - and putting my energy into one of those might get me a sweater that I can actually put to use while I feel the need for it. (Especially that one that just needs the single sleeve!)

Ahem. New sweater, here I come.

Comments