K'done: Shandon Cowl

I'm still knitting! Just, you know, not as much as I'd like.



Pattern: Shandon, by Beata Jezek
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Tonal in Blue Yonder
Needles: 5.5 mm / US 9

I wanted to crank out a relatively quick but satisfying project, and was flailing about trying to pick one for myself, so my sister got one instead. She is not complaining.

Textured cowls with just knits and purls are apparently wildly satisfying - at least, for me. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of knitting this, and I may knit a smaller, not-blue version for myself - I prefer wearing cowls as a simple loop about my neck, where they perform as accessories through which I attempt to snazzy up my simple tops for work appropriate attire. My sister, however, wears cowls as snuggly warmth-providing accessories, so when she saw the sample picture with the model (the designer, I think?) cozily bundled up with this piece, she was sold.

I knit it as written in terms of number of stitches used, but I sort of stopped looking at the pattern once I got the chart in my head, so I'm not sure how deep I was supposed to go - I went until I had pretty much gone through a second skein of yarn, and then stopped at a logical place in the pattern. It ended up being 4 repeats of the chart, with an additional batch of the first 4 rounds. The result, laid flat, looks like this:



Well, that's what it looks like in the rather yellowy light we have here - the sun is now setting by 4:30 PM, which means I have no window of opportunity for photographing knits in natural light after I get home from work. So please forgive the colour quality, but check out that texture! That there is an unblocked piece - sister likes it unblocked since it scrunches back on itself so strongly, so it hugs her neck nicely when wrapped twice. Since the yarn is superwash (and dryer tolerant), I figure the way to retain that fresh-off-the-needles scrunchiness is to toss the piece in the dryer on a low setting after washing. We'll see how it goes.

Tech specs: Chinese Waitress CO, double chain BO. I really like this pairing.

She likes the finished piece so much, she wore it to work today - I handed it over last night! She happily reported receiving many compliments on it from coworkers too. Life is good.

Comments