Erm. Whoops.

Ah, Houston? We have a problem.



That's my wychwood cardi-shrug-thing. Okay, maybe that picture doesn't make the problem obvious.



Better? See that funny little nub of yarn hanging off the needle? That's it. There is no more. And, um, the piece isn't done. Not by a fairly long shot. I have lost at yarn chicken.

But wait, how did this happen? Didn't you test knit this one?

Why yes, yes I did.

And weren't you a bit short of yarn on that?

Right again. I had just under the recommended 1200 yards, used up everything, but didn't do the ribbing on the sleeve cuffs, nor did I work the entirety of the ribbing as written.

And how much yarn did you have this time?

Why, this time I started with 1080 yards of yarn.

And why exactly did you think this would work?

Idiocy? Poor numerical literacy? I honestly thought that I could leave off the ribbing entirely and everything would work out just fine. Because I don't really have a good sense of how much knitting you get from 120 yards of yarn. Mostly owing to the fact that I have no concept of how much yarn that is.

It's okay though - I have a plan, and honestly, I'm not even mad about how this all went down. I'm going to put what I've got down, set it aside, until the cable for my 3.75 mm tips comes. This might be a while coming - I put together a wish list for Christmas for my sibs, and somehow the cable assemblies were left out, so they didn't get ordered, so now I have tips, but no cable to join them, which is, frankly, useless, but I've made a new wishlist that includes the cable assemblies that were missing last time, and hopefully I will get them for my birthday. In September. When I get them, though, I'm going to try a reknit - pulling yarn from the incomplete piece as needed - using the smaller needles. My gauge is a bit big anyway - I'm guessing the sheer size of the piece had something to do with that, I don't really notice a general loosening of my knitting overall - so this should correct for that as well.

Anyway. I guess I'm not wearing this to the first day of the Spring semester!

I wonder if I have time to pound something else out instead? I have a week - first class is next Tuesday. Hmmm.

Comments