K'done: wychwood cardi-shrug

Another Ah, summer, how I miss thee knit.



Pattern: wychwood, by Jenny Faifel
Yarn: Fyberspates Scrumptious 4 ply/sport, in Oyster
Needles: 4 mm / US 6



This was a test, and wow what a test! I thoroughly enjoyed knitting this one, and when it was done I regretted not having made it for myself - my sister liked the preview pictures, and so selected the yarn from her not-so-mini stash. I done goofed! It could have been mine!

Ah, well, I'll just have to knit one for me.

The construction of this piece is intriguing, and I must confess that my brain still hasn't fully worked out how it works. It's worked from end to end - you cast on something like five stitches, at one of the armholes, knit your way across, and somehow end up on the other side, but not at an armhole, and there wasn't as much even knitting as I was expecting. While the pattern's description claims there's no long cast on or bind off, it should be noted that if you want to add ribbing around the neck/hemline (which the sample shows, and the pattern directs you to do), then there's going to be a pretty big bind off there.



I also ran out of yarn - there was supposed to be some ribbing on the sleeves as well, but clearly mine lacks that touch. I'm not terribly clear on why my yarn supply fell short - yardage wise, it should have been fine, as the pattern calls for 1200 yards and I had 1197, and I'm pretty sure it would take more than three yards to do the sleeve edge ribbing. I also cut the neck/hem edging a bit short, working only five rounds instead of the prescribed seven. The resulting piece is still plenty cozy and cocoon-y - exactly what the pattern promised.



Yep. I need one too.

Comments