K'done: Helical Stripe Socks

Getting more bang for my sock yarn buck. Gotta love that.



Pattern: Helical Stripe Socks, by Grumperina
Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll sock yarn in Auburn, Oak, Foliage, and Wine for the stripes, and Timber for the toes, heels, and ribbing
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1



I worked these toe up, in order to be able to put in a flap heel without having to pick up stitches. I cast on 20 sts using Judy's Magic Cast On, increased until I had 64 around, then abandoned the Timber yarn and started with the striping. Once I got through the gusset increases, I switched back to the Timber yarn, put in a slipped stitch heel flap, but with two sts of garter at each edge, then abandoned the Timber yarn again to resume the striping. I was able to get pretty good control over tension at the joins, but there is a wee bit of laddering going on - not in the stitches right at the join, but in the one previous. I'm not too concerned, though - it's not super obvious in the pics I snapped of the on-the-feet-but-unblocked socks, and I suspect it will only improve once I wash them.

I'm very happy with the resulting socks, and I look forward to doing this again with more leftovers - it lets me squeeze more socks out of my sock yarn, which appeals the cheap thrifty person in me to no end. I haven't yet weighed what remains, but I totally had enough yarn. I started with 20 g of each colour (except for Wine, of which I had only about 15 g) per sock, and I probably still have enough in each colour to use them for more stripey socks - but I'd want to change up the colour combinations.



One nice bonus from this project is that it's given me a taste for colourwork - I had previously thought that I'd never be interested in it, but now I'm thinking of adding some two-colour socks to the SSP plans.

But, it's not all sunshine and roses. Socks are typically my go-to portable project, and these just aren't. I started the toe as I waited in the airport for my flight to Seattle, and by the time we were taking off I was done with the toe and ready to start the stripes. Juggling five cakes of yarn - even if they're little cakes - while seated in an airplane requires some thought and care. All those cakes also take up a fair bit of real estate in my handbag. Also?



Using more than one colour means that you're left with an unholy mess of rather a lot of ends to weave in.



Still, I think they're worth it.

Comments