K'done: Skew Socks

Feelin' dizzy?



 Pattern: Skew, by Lana Holden Yarn: ShibuiKnits Sock, in Earth Needles: 2.75 mm / US 2 This was fun. I was worried the stockinette might suck the fun out of it, but it was seriously fun. I'm not sure why, because it's not as though I dislike knitting stockinette in the round, but I have it in my head that for socks it's boring. Probably I should have tried going down a needle size in making these to fit my size 6 feet, but there were a few things stopping me. First off, I don't have those smaller size needles - I've got boatloads of 2.75 mm DPN sets, they are my go-to needles for socks. Second, I really like the fabric I get using this needle size with sock yarn. I get a decent gauge - somewhere between 8 and 9 stitches per inch, which seems right - and the fabric isn't too stiff or thick. Third? I'm stubborn. In any event, I knit the right one first, and it came out too big. Granted, I did one more repeat of the foot rounds than the pattern called for before starting the inner ankle - don't ask me why I thought I would need to knit more than the pattern said I would need for a size 8 foot! In any event, I knit the whole right sock, tried it on, saw that it was too big, but kept it around while I knit the left one, and ended up with one less foot rounds repeat as compared to what the pattern calls for. That was much better, and I then picked out the cast-off edge of the right sock and reknit it. These are still a bit on the big side - socks are supposed to have negative ease to their fit, and clearly these don't. They're at the no ease mark, I think, so I get loose looking crinkles when my foot bends inside them. Next time, I'm going to try stopping with the toe increases earlier - instead of knitting a 72 stitch sock on the diagonal, maybe I'll try going for a 68 stitch sock. That probably has consequences for how the ankle and heel work up though. Then again, I have this inkling that the designer is working out other sizes, so maybe those will be available for the next pair. 



Comments