A sleeve in a day?

I have three days after today to complete this test knit.


All it needs is a sleeve, and the seams associated with that side of the sweater, and then it will be ready for blocking. I think I can do it - the sleeve is sort of short, it's a cocoon style piece, so the top half of the sleeves are really the body of the sweater. I mean, I've got stuff to do today - the tree is coming down, sigh - but I had stuff to do yesterday too and the first sleeve got done, so anything seems possible. True, I was a little further along on that sleeve when I started, but we're talking about 10 rows here.

You may notice that the first sleeve appears to be seamed, but the sweater is not blocked. Generally I'm an advocate for blocking before seaming - blocked fabric lies so nicely and is much more well behaved - but I didn't in this case? Hypocrisy? Maybe. But it was a deliberate choice because of the way I'm knitting this: I think the finished piece will be easier to block than the non-finished piece because of the way I'm doing the sleeves. The pattern has the sleeves worked in the round, but I realized belatedly that I don't have DPNs in this needle size, and also that all my circular cables are too long for the sleeve circumference, and I don't like Magic Loop. I thought briefly about trying Travelling Loop, but then decided to just knit the sleeves flat. This makes for a weird shape that won't fit on my blocking zone before seaming anyway.

So I seamed unblocked.

It wasn't miserable, this fabric in particular wasn't too curly. But probably seaming blocked fabric would have been a touch easier.

Have I started on my shortie sock project? Not yet. I'm still deciding on heel treatments.


Comments