Thank you, next

These socks don't match.

No, they're not really a pair. Just a couple of completed socks that are hanging out waiting for their mates.

See, I started thinking that even though I have been carefully adding lighter coloured sock yarns to my stash lately - lots of greys and fun speckles - a little while back I suddenly was struck with a desire to add some more darker coloured socks to my collection. A quick poke through the stash and I was on my way with a skein of Knit Picks Stroll (Rav link) in Red Wing Blackbird (this would be the sock on the right in the picture), and wouldn't you know it, it was hitting the spot.

And then my sister got over her indecision, and picked a skein of yarn for her next pair of socks. She picked out a skein of Tanis Fiber Arts Purewash Sock (another Rav link) in Grunge Flannel. I was eager to play with that yarn, so when I finished sock #1 in the Stroll, I put the pair on pause and cast on for the Sister sock instead.

And I've been cruising along, and the yarn is great, but somehow this one isn't hitting the spot. I kinda think it might be the colour. It is absolutely a fabulous expression of "grunge flannel", and I'm pretty sure my sister had a flannel shirt in the 90s that was this yarn in actual plaid flannel, so it's right up her alley, but notably I did not have a flannel shirt in these colours in the 90s. I guess this combo just isn't me? I can look at it and honestly say "I like this" - I really liked the way this looked in the skein (almost bought one for myself!), and I like the individual colours (well, I'm a little neutral on the blues), and I like the way it's knitting up.

And yet, my overall feeling while knitting it is meh. Maybe it's the blues?

So I decided that the remedy is to play with rainbows, and I grabbed a skein of Ridley Sock (yet another Rav link) in Moody Bows and cast on that too. (This would be the sock on the left in the first picture.) And clearly, that one is hitting the spot, since one sock is done and its mate is already cast on.

But. I might already be scheming about which socks (for me) will be up next. Which will also require a decision about when exactly next is.

It may be at a point in time before any of these pairs are completed.

Well, no. I'll finish my sister's socks before I start a new pair for myself. I just might not finish a pair for myself before I start a new pair for myself!

Comments