Progress without pictures

They say pics or it didn't happen.

My problem is, I rarely think to take pictures of things I'm doing - I'm just focused on getting stuff done. And then when I think I should come here to document some of the things I'm doing, I don't have any pretty images to share, and who wants to just read a wall of text?

Well. Truthfully, sometimes I just want stuff to read. But I will concede that a knit blog is typically enhanced by pictures of knitting.

Anyway. This is a sort of roundabout way of saying that I've been away because I never have pictures to share, but I've been knitting away in the background of my life. I finished a test knit the other day, and just now set it soaking on the kitchen counter as part of the blocking ritual.

I've also mostly finished up a new layering piece for me - it also needs blocking, and then two little seams will need sewing, and that's it. I'm excited to add it to my options for increasing coziness, but I'm also a tad worried it will end up making me look like a frumpy lump of wool. We'll have to wait and see.

Speaking of wait and see, I've been waiting for nearly a month now for my sister to decide which yarn she'd like to be her next pair of socks first. I was having trouble settling on a yarn I wanted to work up for myself (quelle surprise), so I thought I'd get around it by adding to her sock drawer. Usually this works out great, but this time, she won't commit! I've got a stack of skeins out in the open for her to examine and admire, and she's not making any progress towards deciding. So now I'm back to making socks for me. Yesterday I wound up some yarn, and while I was at it, I remembered seeing advice to never knit with grey yarns at this time of year. The idea is that we're in the later stages of winter here in North America, and all the colourful twinkle lights of the holiday season have been decommissioned (I mean, ours are still up and operational at my insistence, but we're one of maybe three houses on our street to still be decked out this way), so grey on the needles is thought to be too gloomy in a world that has sort of been without colour for a while, and will likely continue to be so for at least another month.

I like grey a lot. I've really leaned into it more recently too - a lot of my store-bought clothes are in shades of grey now, and I'm starting to amass a pretty decent stash of grey yarns, with goals of grey socks and grey sweaters.

Surely the don't knit with grey in winter advice doesn't apply to grey with HONKING NEON RAINBOWS in it?

Comments