K'done: Windowlit cardigan (heavily modified!)

 Yeah, this one doesn't look much like the sample.

Pattern: Windowlit, by Amy Gunderson (knit in size S/M)
Yarn: SweetGeorgia Yarns Superwash DK, in Cherry
Needles: 4.5 mm / US 7

Ahem. Excuse the leggings - I've been living in leggings for over a year now. (Honestly? I think they look good anyway!)

As is readily apparent, I didn't do the lace motif given in the pattern. I swapped it out in favour of the texture pattern from Dory, which I thought appropriate since it still has a diamond-like geometry to it, in a nod to the original's diamond lace, but otherwise knit the pattern as written. So the shape is as the designer intended, and I've got the long twisted rib cuffs with their rolled edges, but I did skip the decorative tabs on the sleeves.

I started this one in July, working on it a bit off and on for a few weeks, but packed it to take along when we went out to BC in August. I got a good chunk of it cranked out while we were away - I think I had a few inches of the back when we left, and I had the entirety of the body and a good portion of the neckline trim when we got back. It sat around a bit while I procrastinated doing the sleeve trims - what is it with me and sleeves?! But in September I got around to finishing that up, blocking and seaming it, then sewing on and finishing the neckline trim.

About that neckline trim. You'll notice in some of my shots you can see it curling back, in a sort of mini-shawl collar sort of way. I like it like that, but the sample shots don't have that curl. I suspect I would need to stretch the trim piece out a bit as I attach it to avoid the curling. Or maybe it's a blocking trick. I haven't re-blocked the sweater since its pre-seaming session.

It's a great layering piece, and because of the positive ease, if I'm feeling dedicated to it I can pull it closed in front - true, the fronts don't meet on their own, but knitted fabric is stretchy. There aren't any buttons, which suits me just fine, since I apparently hate buying buttons and find I don't use them on cardis anyway, so if I wanted it to stay shut I'd have to tie it off with a belt, or just keep my arms crossed.

Oh, I did goof the knitting at one point by miscounting how many pattern repeats I'd done, and cut my yarn to end one front about an inch too short. Had to rejoin the yarn to keep going to hit the right length. For bonus annoyance points, the yarn I had left in the cake when I rejoined was not quite enough, so I had to join on a new one to finish my bind off. I don't think it's super noticeable, since I used a Russian join, but still, a join in the bound off edge is not my favourite thing ever.

Still a totally great sweater, though. Maybe I should make another.

Tech specs: Chinese waitress CO, double chain BO, and I slipped the first stitch of each row because I like doing that when I'm knitting pieces that are going to be seamed later - I find it makes the selvedge edge really obvious, which helps me find my targets, so to speak. In fairness, I have not actually tried sewing a seam on an edge without the slipped selvedges - I saw this "tip" a long time ago somewhere and just ran with it. It has occurred to me that maybe I should try it sometime without the slipped selvedges, to see what the difference is.

Hooray for new sweaters!

Comments