K'done: still more socks

EVIL TWINS.

I know. It's rude to shout. But I'm excited!

Yarn: Sea Turtle Fiber Arts Ridley Sock, in Speckles and Splats
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

I don't remember how I stumbled upon Sea Turtle Fiber Arts, but at the time they were on their summer break, so I couldn't actually get my hands on any. Then I, um, forgot for a while, and then I randomly remembered I wanted to check them out again this past summer - and again, I couldn't get any because it was summer. Timing, I haz it.

This time, though, I didn't forget. It helped that I tracked them down on Instagram and followed them, and when they were back in the studio in late August, I was in the loop - and boy am I happy to be in this loop! I immediately fell in love with LOTS of their stuff, and bought a goodly haul to play with. And first up was this Evil Twin yarn.

I was immediately intrigued by the concept behind these sock sets - two skeins of yarn, dyed to produce a pair of socks that clearly go together, but absolutely do not match. So. Much. Fun. If you're the sort of person who finds second socks boring, this sort of yarn will help shake things up.

Me? I don't think I typically drag on a second sock (though I have found things more challenging with third or fourth socks, heh), but this yarn is still completely awesome - I was so eager to see how the two different skeins would knit up! I suppose if you're the sort of person who really grooves on perfectly matching socks, then this wouldn't be your jam, but hey, more for me, right?

One thing - Ridley Sock seems to be a teeeeeeeeensy bit thicker than most sock yarns. As I was cruising down the leg of the first sock, I thought it seemed to be sort of bigger than expected. I compared it to another sock, and sure enough, it was - but when I put my fingers in the cuffs and pulled them, they stretched out the same amount. So the stitches were the same size, but in the Ridley Sock they weren't compressing as much when relaxed. Since socks fit with negative ease, the finished socks are still fine, and I didn't feel the need to rip back and reknit, but I did make a mental note to try going up a needle size and reducing the overall stitch count on the next pair made with this yarn base, to try and get a more fluid feeling fabric. My usual gauge with 2.25 mm needles is 9 sts to the inch, and with Ridley Sock I was getting 8.5, with the fabric feeling fairly dense and stiff. Once they're on the feet I don't really notice any difference, but I did worry about it throughout the knitting - the fabric coming off the needles just didn't feel right.

Tech specs: Italian tubular CO, 1x1 rib at the cuffs, Fish Lips Kiss heel - I really like this heel technique, the heel knitting just seems to fly right along, in part because there's no long rounds as you work gussets, but also I guess I find slip stitch heel flaps a little tedious to work?

Yep, I'm pretty happy. And I, um, have already purchased more Sea Turtle yarn. Did I mention the part where the studio is about a ten minute drive from my house?

This could be dangerous.

Comments