K'done: Pinus cowl

Test knitting for the win! No, really.

Pattern: Pinus cowl, by Jenny Faifel

Yarn: my handspun (!!), with some madelinetosh Tosh DK in Onyx

Needles: 4 mm / US 6

A great little excursion into the land of mosaic knitting. I'm quite pleased with the final piece. Plus, I can wear it two ways! When I was first plotting out my project I tried pairing the darker colour with another skein of Tosh DK I had kicking around in a browny-bronzy sort of colour, but their values were too similar, and the herringbone pattern didn't really pop. So I decided to give that handspun I blogged about back in August a try - I was sort of anxious to see how it would knit up anyway. Wow am I glad I did! And I have leftovers, but totally not enough for a hat. Maybe some little fingerless handwarmers? Hmmm.

You may be noticing that the dark ribbing is not as long as the handspun ribbing. I ran out of yarn. I had 53 g of the Tosh DK leftover from a hat I made a while back, and I thought it should be enough, but it wasn't quite - I'm missing five rounds of ribbing on that side. I'm okay with it, but if you're the sort of person who won't like that, then the safer bet is to start with full skeins of whatever yarn you're using.

I haven't worn it for realz yet, but I think that day is coming. I felt the need for a sweater today! (According to Google, it is currently 9 C outside, and I think the thermostat said it was about 20.5 C in the house. Clearly, I have not yet acclimated to non-summer temperatures. Don't worry, I'll get there. I'm Canadian. I've been here before. I'll be here again.)

Comments