K'done: EVO socks

Don't just think pink. Scream it.


Pattern: EVO socks, by Felicia Lo Wong
Yarn: scraps, almost all from Invictus Yarns; the grey/black/red band on the legs is A Tree Hugger's Wife
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

I know. I said I wanted some non-pink socks in my sock drawer. But then the Sweet Georgia Spring Make-a-long kicked off, and well, apparently I won't walk away from a chance to use up some scraps if you dangle a chance at a participation prize in front of me. (I did not win a prize.)


That's okay. I like my new socks. I didn't follow the pattern very closely, though - just sort of used it as a vague template for the switching of colours, but kind of ran with whatever my yardage allowed. In fact, the colour changes on the feet don't match, because I ran out of the pink/black yarn earlier on one sock than on the other. (Annoyingly, I was using scraps from back in the day when I would divide a 100 g skein of yarn into two halves before starting - and even though I would use a digital kitchen scale to do it, they were never *exactly* the same, so the sock I ran out on was the first one, and I ended up with a bit extra on the second. So I still have a tiny quantity of that yarn kicking around.)

Tech specs: I started with a typical-for-me Italian tubular CO, which sets you up perfectly for 1x1 ribbing, so that's what I did. I did a Fish Lips Kiss heel, because I like knitting those more than flap heels with gussets, and I'm still doing data collection on how much I like wearing them. My row gauge was oddly more compact than usual - don't know why, need more data - so I had to knit an additional 10 rounds or so on the foot beyond what I expected to need to get socks that actually fit.

Boom.

In other news, I'm working on a couple of things that I don't think I'm supposed to show you right now (both are tests, one I'm definitely supposed to be hush-hush about, the other is, um, less clear, so I'm erring on the side of caution). I also finished up a pair of sister socks, but in typical fashion, once they were off the needles and ends were woven in, I just sort of handed them over to her without a photo shoot. (I'm getting quite the collection of photo-less projects on my Rav project page. Sigh.)

Still, so far, it's a good summer.

Comments