K'done: more plain socks

Think pink!


Pattern: just a plain ol' stockinette sock worked over 64 sts, with a Fish Lips Kiss heel
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

Apparently, this is the first pair of socks I've completed for me this year, but the third pair I've actually knit. Sister and Mister were prioritized, I guess.


This yarn surprised me by being as pink as it is. I mean, I knew there was pink in the skein, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so overwhelmingly pink. The skein looked like this:


See what I mean? There's clearly pink in there, but the skein put-up really fools the eye! I could see a difference even when I had wound the yarn into a cake for knitting - no picture, but let's just say the cake looked a lot more like the socks I ended up getting.

This yarn also surprised me by being less soft than Knit Picks Stroll, despite the fact that both are 75%/25% merino/nylon blends. At one point, my sister picked up one of the completed socks to have a look at it, and she commented that it didn't feel as nice as she was expecting. Don't get me wrong - it's certainly soft enough, I've been wearing the socks for about four hours now and have not detected any itching or prickling sensations on my feet or legs. True, the skin on my feet is probably not particularly sensitive, but if there were sensitivity problems, I would expect my legs to offer up some complaint, and they haven't. So the yarn is still soft. It is not, however, dreamy buttery soft. I guess I've spoiled my sister.

Tech specs: Italian tubular CO, 1x1 ribbing at the cuff, toe decreases worked for a slightly rounded toe. My favourite sock blueprint.


As I neared the finish line with these socks, I started thinking that I have a lot of socks in shades of pink and red and purple. I've never really considered myself a pink sort of girl, but I guess I must be, since I keep gravitating towards it when buying sock yarn - there's a lot of it in my stash! Maybe too much? The thought of non-pink-red-purple socks has become rather attractive, and I have some of those other colours in the stash too, waiting for their destiny. Perhaps I should spend some time playing in other parts of the colour wheel?

Except the Sweet Georgia Spring Make-a-Long started yesterday, and while I'm too shy to jump into the discussion forum they're running, the possibility of prizes has sent me rummaging in my bag of remnants to dig up some scraps for some Evo Socks:


Yup. More pink. Because when all you've been knitting is pink socks, that means your scraps are all pink too. Sigh.

(I've also cast on some socks for Sister, in very Not-Pink yarn. They don't help with my own monochromatic sock drawer, but she's got a birthday coming soon anyway, and while they're not really her gift - I mean, I guess they could be? But I'd like to have them finished for her big day anyhow.)


Comments