K'done: Unleaving Scarf

Well. It's been a while. Why not start with a completion post?



Pattern: Unleaving, by Lee Juvan
Yarn: Yummy Yarn Studio Merino Tweed, in Caramel
Needles: 5.5 mm / US 9



I saw this pattern in Knitty, and I thought, What a nice scarf - I should make that. Thing is, it was one of their KnittySpin features, which are designs that were imagined with handspun yarn in mind. I don't spin. Of course, there's no reason why you couldn't just use commercially spun yarn to make any of these items, so I started thinking about what I had on hand that would look good worked into that scarf.

I nearly immediately thought of this skein of Merino Tweed that I wasn't sure what to do with - the variegation kept giving me pause when I thought about turning it into other shawlettes, I was worried about weird stripes or flashes showing up. Flashbang moment. In her introductory notes, the designer says: "Instead of clearly delineated (and sometimes distracting) stockinette stripes, garter stitch often delivers a lovely, subtle shading of colors."

Well. It didn't take me very long to jump on board with that.

I think the pairing turned out very well. The lace edging was fun to work, and is a very nice touch on the finished scarf, even if I didn't block the points out very severely - mine has more of a gentle scalloped edging, and probably the lace could be opened up more, but whatevs. I like it the way it is. I did find that the knitting ran a bit on the long side - I found I was mentally done with the scarf before it was physically done. I suppose all the intrigue is in the shaping of the first half, since it's worked end to end - once you pass the middle point, you're just reversing everything you've already done, and you know exactly how things should work out from the shape of that first half. I also lengthened mine a bit - I used my scale to help me determine at what point I should stop increasing and start decreasing. Since I had 12 g of leftovers, I probably could have lengthened even more - I had weighed the remainder, worked another increase repeat, and figured based on the previous weight that it was time, but didn't bother reweighing to check. Given that I thought the knitting went long, though, it's probably just as well that I called it halfway done when I did.

There are still a couple of other completed things kicking about for me to show off here. And I've got a couple of other things on the go. And I'm feeling a strong urge to kick off a couple of new things - that might be driven at least in part by the fact that I've been shopping a bit.

But more on all that later.

Comments