Novice spinner is a novice

So, this spinning thing. It feels super fast as I'm doing it, but it's not actually fast. I've been putting in time here and there over the past week and a half or so working on spinning the skinniest singles I can manage, with the hope that I will eventually make a fingering-to-sport weight 3 ply. The first ply is done, and hanging out on my caddy, waiting for its plying destiny. It, um, has some thicker bits to it, and some spots the spinning sort of loosened up? Still learning here, obviously.

I initially thought I might try to add a bit more twist, but I've since decided to just run with what I've got and see how it goes.

Ply #2 is past the halfway point - maybe I'm 75% done? It's hard to tell.


This one is much more consistent than the first - novice spinner is figuring some things out as she goes. I actually forgot to pre-draft this batch in my excitement to get started, but haven't noticed any major differences in how it's spinning, but that might be because I've separated the roving (top?) into fairly skinny strands for spinning. If I were trying to work from bigger chunks of top (roving?), I'd probably see more benefit from pre-drafting.

The purple practice fluff got me this:


That's about 11.5 meters of rather wildly thick and thin yarn - some bits are bulky, others are more DK-to-worsted.


I don't have a super concrete plan for what to do with it - as inconsistent as it is, I still think it turned out well enough for me to use it for something. I'm thinking I might put a little colourwork into a hat. A very little bit of colourwork. It's only 11.5-ish meters, after all. (That estimate is probably a touch over conservative. I just counted how many times I could wind the yarn around my forearm, estimated the length from my elbow to my thumb joint, doubled that, then multiplied by how many wraps I had. Absolutely not perfect, but reasonable enough for broad planning purposes.)

I'm pretty eager to start plying this next batch, to see what I get. Too bad I still have a bunch more spinning to do before I get there. Really, it's fine - spinning is a pretty zen, meditative activity. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

But it isn't fast. That's okay - I have a decent sock yarn stash. Which I may have enhanced recently. Ahem.

Comments