Hello, 2021

Happy New Year!

I'm not the sort to go in for New Year's resolutions - no used-just-a-couple-of-times-in-January-gym memberships for me. Which is probably just as well, since just a few days into the new year has me staring down a very familiar problem: knitterly indecision.

I want to add a sweater to my collection. I've set my sights on Bly, now I just need to pick out my yarn. I have two candidates:

The problem? The reddish one is worsted weight, the darker purple is DK. I like both colours, though I must confess I think I am leaning towards the darker DK in terms of pattern-yarn match. (Though when I pulled that one ball of the red out to take the picture, I warmed up to it a fair bit.) But the pattern is written for a gauge of 20 sts to 4", and I'm a little worried the thinner yarn will get me a lighter-than-I-want sweater at that gauge. I also have a feeling that I want to save the heavier yarn for a smooshier sweater - one with maybe a shawl collar or big drapey fronts or something.

The lighter purple? That's a gift sock. I'll knit more on that while I worry and fret.

Oh, and the October socks? Totally finished them on my New Year's Pyjama Day, wore them on 2 January. Happy New Year indeed!

Yarn: Knit Picks Muse Handpainted Sock Yarn, in Elation
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

I tried out a Fish Lips Kiss Heel on these, just to see how it would fit and work out. Years ago, one of my Tour de Sock teammates gifted me the pattern, and at the time I read through it, but sort of mentally wrote it off as a short row heel, and I set it aside, because I haven't been super happy with the fit of short row heels in the past. I decided to give them a chance, though - not because I've become unhappy with flap heels, but just as an experiment.

And? I've worn them only once, so it's probably too early to say. The knitting of the heels was fast and fun, though I did need to fish out a couple of stitch markers for a couple of rows, but maybe more practice and experience will let me avoid that step in the future? I did end up with a gappy stitch on one side of the heel, but I figured a way to snug it up that worked the way I wanted on the second sock, so I don't anticipate having an issue on future socks, if I continue using this heel. Part of me wants to just pound out a bunch of pairs with these heels to really get a sense of how it wears.

But I should probably work on those gift socks first.

Oh, and figure out my sweater indecision.


Comments