Some sort of productivity

I'm realizing, as I peer at the calendar date, that I should probably get a move on sending out some Christmas cards. I'm actually pretty habitually bad at sending out cards - I always get caught up in end-of-semester stuff that just keeps me scrambling to meet my deadlines, and by the time I'm out the other side, I'm on the late side for sending the cards, or I've blown it completely. This year I should send a few more than usual, because I have some cousins that I usually hand cards to in person that I won't be seeing this holiday season due to the heightened restrictions - no extended family gatherings for Christmas this year.

The cards aren't ready to go yet, but I did get other things done today - for one, I plied my singles from the merino sample. I, um, learned a lot in this round of plying. Thing the first: I'm not attempting to ply three singles together until I have a lazy kate to help keep things in order. Somehow wrangling three crosses some sort of threshold of manageability - two was okay, but three was, um, frustrating. I mean, it's doable, but it wasn't as enjoyable of a process as two was. I tried using an empty egg carton as a caddy of sorts, to keep the three batches of singles away from each other, but they all popped out and partied around each other pretty quickly. The Mister has been tasked with 3D printing the pieces of a lazy kate for me - it's in the queue, he just wants to print one other thing first before changing the filament to one of my choosing.

Thing the second: I was less happy with the results of this round as I was plying, because it was clear that I didn't spin my singles skinny enough to get the yarn I want. I ended up with a DK-to-worsted kind of yarn. I'll share pictures when it's dry - once it was all plied up, I wound it off the spindle onto my ball winder, then skeined it around my arm and put it in a little container of cool water to soak for a while to set the twist. It's drying on the not-a-table now, I should be able to snap pictures tomorrow. Or Friday. Tomorrow might be a bit busy, I've got to do a grocery pickup and then deliver some to my parents, and I have a couple of meetings on the schedule too.

Okay, I suppose two things doesn't seem like a lot, but they feel like big things!

I also put some time into my September socks today. Yesterday saw me cruise down the leg and start the heel flap; today I finished the heel flap, turned the heel, and am working my way down the gussets. I may be able to finish that off by the end of the night.

I'm also getting some sweater hankerings. I haven't knit myself a sweater in forever! Well, I reknit that shrug earlier this year, and yes, I know I still need pictures of that, but I haven't started a new sweater for me in a long time. We've been having pretty pleasant fall-like weather the past week or so, with temperatures well above 0 C, but it snowed overnight, a few centimetres, and waking up to see a wintry wonderland this morning made me want a cozy, snuggly sweater to wrap up in. Did I reach for one of my existing sweaters? Heck no. I'm poring over a few pattern pages on Ravelry, thinking about what DK and worsted weight yarn I have in the stash. (For the curious, the answer is: not tons. I have three sweater batches of worsted, six in DK.) But! I'm going to make myself finish my sister's sweater first. I'm in sleeve land, there's very little left to go!

Comments