K'done: scrappy socks

 Whoosh! My August socks are done!

I even wore them today!

Pattern: EVO socks, by Felicia Lo

Yarn: some Invictus Yarns Master of My Feet remnants

Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

As much as I generally dislike having two balls of yarn joined onto my knitting at once, because of the constant shuffling and fussing with them, and as much as I like to reduce the number of ends I need to deal with, these socks are worth it. Sure, I end up with ten ends to weave in, and yeah, I have to do the yarn ball juggle four times, but it is so deeply satisfying to use up these little remnant balls, and playing around with colour combinations is fun too.

The colour blocks seem to make the socks fly along too. I suspect it's because you have such highly visual progress markers, everything just seems to go faster. And if you're me, the apparent speed gives you a little thrill and you keep chugging along, leading to more progress, and then poof! A completed sock sort of falls of your needles.

I didn't follow the pattern exactly - I used an Italian tubular cast on, which leads naturally into a 1x1 rib pattern. Sure, I could rearrange my stitches, but that seems like unnecessary busy work. I also tried a variation on Eye of Partridge for the heel flap - instead of switching out the slipped stitches every other right side row, I worked two the same and then switched, for a sort of macro Eye of Partridge. It made for a pretty cushy fabric - I'll likely be doing this again on future socks. Gusset decreases were also placed along the side of the foot, and traveled down towards the sole.

Yup, very pleased with these indeed.


Comments