Socktober check-in

Well, people like to joke around about how in Canada, winter is always coming, but today, it looked like this at around 4 PM:

I would say that's starting to look like winter is here. I guess Socktober really should be a thing then.

So this is what I've got:

Still not a complete July pair, but I've sure busted a move compared to what I managed to get done during the actual month of July. (I just checked - I actually cast on that first sock on 29 September.) Amazing how much knitting can get done when I can actually knit! I'm pretty sure I'll finish these before month's end.

I've actually made progress on a pair of sister socks I started while we were out in BC too - I knit the first sock while we were there, and got some way into the leg of the second, and then it sort of became my on-the-go project, for out-and-about waiting times. Thing is, with working from home, I'm not out-and-about waiting much! So progress has been slow, but I turned the heel on the second sock yesterday, so we're getting somewhere. I actually put some time into it while I was home, since turning a heel isn't a great place to need to pause a sock that needs to be able to be packed up for transporting around, and I also worked my way through the gusset decreases, since I find that part of the sock is a bit awkward for on-the-go storing in the Knitzi carrying case. (Sadly, that company seems to have disappeared. Major shame, really, because I quite like mine, and would enthusiastically recommend it for anyone who likes to knit socks!)

I'm pretty sure that my August socks (ha!) are going to be remnant socks. We're not buying a new fridge - not yet, at any rate. The day before yesterday I emptied it and let it defrost - we've got one of those famously badly designed Samsung fridges, so it was pretty thoroughly iced up. By the evening, all the ice from the fridge compartment had melted and leaked out, and all fans seemed to be running properly again, so before bedtime I put the food back into the now properly cooling fridge. So the big expense seems to be not super necessary for the time being, but I'm still getting warm fuzzy vibes from the thought of squeezing extra socks out of remaindered bits and bobs. I'll have to spend some time playing with colour combinations to determine how exactly I'll be proceeding here.


Comments