Problem averted

This morning, I came downstairs, carrying a cake of sock yarn with some DPNs jammed into it balanced on my phone. I still haven't really fully decided on my April socks, but I've had a couple of cakes of sister sock yarn staring at me for some weeks now, and I figured my indecision could be turned to her advantage, so I cast on before going to sleep. I brought that down to my chair, balanced on my phone because my other hand was carrying a tablet, and as I reached to place the phone and yarn on the table next to my chair, I let the whole business tilt too much, and the yarn slid off the phone and fell to the floor. Oddly, the needles sort of exploded out of the cake - the one with the cast on stitches was still attached, none fell off, but I had to gather the others.

I was one short.

The floor is not super tidy near my chair - partly my fault, I have a pretty bad just-put-stuff-down habit, but a lot of the stuff that has accumulated here isn't mine either, because someone else here also has a bad just-put-stuff-down habit. (Just sayin'.) So I started looking more carefully, moving things around a bit, trying to imagine where a dark coloured wooden needle might have bounced. I got down on my hands and knees and crawled around a bit, lowering my face to the floor to sort of peer along the surface to see if that might make the fallen needle more visible.

Nothing.

Now. These are Knit Picks DPNs, really old Harmonies that I bought back when Harmonies still existed and were made in India. That means that yes, they were inexpensive, and yes, the set came with a spare, but I also can't get any more. I did buy myself two sets, so really I have two spares, so even if the needle was gone forever, I don't have a problem. Unless I continue to lose needles. Then, eventually, I will have a problem.

I dug out one of the spares so I could get on with my life, but the missing needle still bothered me. Needles don't just evaporate into thin air - it can't have ceased to exist! It had to be somewhere, and while I was fairly confident it would turn up eventually, there was also the risk of it turning up when someone stepped on it and broke it as a consequence. Which, again, would not present an immediate emergency, but would eat into my safety cushion.

I rooted around a little more, and was rewarded with the missing needle - it had bounced into a mostly empty bag of candy.

It feels good to have my full arsenal.

Comments