K'done: plain socks for sister

The stockinette sock parade continues - but this pair isn't for me!



Pattern: none! Just a plain stockinette sock worked over 66 sts
Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll Gradient Duo, in Sea You Later
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

Okay, yes, the socks are being modelled by me, but that's because sister wasn't here while the sun was shining brightly.



I picked up several batches of this yarn in Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales last November, and quickly knit up a purply batch for my mother. I noticed, however, that since we do not have very long feet, that she ended up with only very little of the darkest purple on one sock, and none at all on the other. Also, I had to switch up my strategy when it came to the heel flap and gussets, because a regular flap heel would have disrupted the gradient - the leg hadn't used up enough of the yarn. My sister's feet are a touch longer than my mother's, but I wanted to get more of the darkest colour into the socks, and I also wanted to do my usual heel flap, which meant I wanted to be well out of the lightest colour by the time I got to the heel. I didn't want to make ridiculously tall socks, though.

The solution? A folded cuff!



As you can see, it worked, in that I was able to preserve the gradient despite working the heel flap flat and then picking up for the gussets. You can probably also see, though, that I still didn't get the darkest colour into the socks, except for the teensiest tiniest bit at the very tip of one toe. What really grinds my gears, though, is that although the sock yarn was packaged as a duo, which led me to believe that the two socks should proceed through the gradient very similarly, again, they did not. (I had this happen with the first pair too.) One sock has more of the lightest colour in the leg, the other has more of the darker shade of blue in the foot (and none of the darkest in the toe, might I add). Honestly? I feel a bit deceived. I wasn't really expecting perfectly matching socks, but the two pair I've gotten so far have been more fraternal than I would expect from yarn that is packaged and sold as "duo" pairs.

Tech specs: I started with a twisted German CO, worked 10 rounds, worked a purled round to form a turning ridge, worked 10 rounds, worked the next round together with the cast on edge, then cruised my way through the rest of the sock.

I'm pretty pleased with the result, non matching notwithstanding. Pleased enough that I've set myself up to do a turned hem cuff on my April socks for me!

Comments