Just go with it

So I finished up my first April sock at some point last week, and I had noticed that the patterning had changed as I worked - I was getting thicker 'stripes' as I worked the foot compared to what I had been getting on the leg.



Yes, yes, repeat picture.

I took the beginnings of the second sock with me on Sunday to collect some groceries - we've been making use of Superstore's PC Express service to restock a little once every two weeks. (It's not perfect - we've been unable to get certain things, we get an "out of stock" notification once the order's been put together - but it is helping to slow our consumption of our stocked provisions.) I knew I'd need to wait - for like 30 minutes - so I made sure I'd be entertained during the wait. I worked the cuff, and was about to do the last round before tacking the foldover hem into place when my purchases started being loaded into the trunk of my car. I put the knitting away, and went on with my day, and picked it up again later in the afternoon to continue working the leg.

That's when I noticed.



The leg was striping the way the foot of the first sock had, which was fine, except that the bit that made up the foldover hem wasn't - it was striping like the leg of the first sock. I saw that, and figured something must have gone a bit weird with my gauge, so I pulled everything back to the hem, and tried again, paying closer attention to make sure that I was tensioning the yarn 'normally'. I didn't have lotion-sticky hands on Sunday afternoon, so that shouldn't have been the cause for the shift - besides, the patterning didn't match what I got with lotion-sticky hands anyway.

Even with my more thoughtful knitting, I still got the thicker striping. At one point, it started to look like maybe things were shifting back to the thinner stripes, but no.



I busted out the measuring tape and measured and re-measured my gauge - 9 stitches to the inch. I measured over two inches, and got 18 stitches. I checked the leg and foot of the first sock, and got the same results.

So I gave up, decided to give in to the will of the yarn, and just kept knitting, put in my heel flap, turned the heel, and today I've worked through the gusset decreases. I think I'm in good shape to have a finished sock by end of day tomorrow, which is great, because tomorrow's April 30.

In other news, that game of yarn chicken I was playing?



I WON.

Comments