K'done: plain socks

Welcome, 2020!

I may be a bit late with my first post of the year, but it's a big one - I finished something!



Pattern: none, really - just a plain stockinette sock worked over 64 sts
Yarn: Sweet Georgia Yarns Tough Love Sock, in Bouquet
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1



Please forgive the horrendous lighting in these photos - it's January, with very little sun. Rather than wait for a sunny opportunity, I figured I'd do what I could and move on.

This is the first pair in my stockinette sock plan for 2020 - I'm hoping to knit myself a pair a month, since it turns out these are my favourite type of sock to actually wear, and it also turns out I rather like the knitting of them too. This yarn is actually reclaimed - I had used it to make a pair of Tour de Sock socks in 2018, but noticed that I sort of stopped wearing them, and the yarn is nice and seemed to still be in good shape, so I undid my previous work. There were a few spots where the yarn had felted a tiny bit - I guess I wore them a fair bit for a while, at least - but there were no breaks or distressingly thinning spots, so these should hold up for a good while.

Tech specs: these were worked top down, over 64 sts, with an Italian tubular CO, and an eye of partridge flap heel worked over 32 sts. I picked up 18 sts along each side of the heel flap for the gussets, and toe decreases were paced to produce a more rounded toe - two sets with two rounds even in between, then decrease every other round until only 24 sts remain, then work two decrease rounds so that 20 sts remain, and kitchener the toe. Boom.

And we're only two weeks into January! I really cranked these out! This has me feeling pretty good about my plan, and fairly confident that I can do it without being an all-socks-all-the-time kind of gal. Which is great, because I agreed to knit a pair of socks for Mister's mother as part of her Christmas present (they're totally not done - she was given a sheet of paper with a list of measurements needed on the actual day, and actually provided those measurements on, like, 29 Dec), and there may need to be a second pair for her birthday, and also I had this idea of producing another pair of socks for my mother for her birthday, which is in a little under a month, so I'll need to put some energy into those. Oh, and I also volunteered to test knit a sweater, which my sister will be claiming upon completion. And I, um, may have wound up some yarn for sister socks too. Plus that other pair of Mister socks that I started and sort of de-prioritized a while back.

Huh.

'Scuse me, gotta run. Knitting to do.

Comments