K'done: Lindsay socks & Atelier cardi

While I may not ever truly catch up, I finished both of these recently enough, and I haz pictures.



Pattern: Lindsay, by Liz Abinante
Yarn: Have You Any Wool Luxe Sock, in Vintner's Reserve
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

I initially pulled this MCN sock yarn from the stash to play around with some stitch manipulation ideas that were bouncing in my head. None of them really worked out, and I happened to be looking through my Rav queue - don't remember what I was looking for anymore - but I remember seeing the sample image for these socks and thinking to myself, Why haven't I done those yet? The yarn was all wound and ready to go, so off I went.



I worked them over 64 sts, which is not one of the options in the pattern as written, so mine have an additional narrow panel (2 sts each side) of stockinette separating the front from the back of the leg. I did an eye of partridge heel flap, and my usual slightly rounded wedge toe - I don't even know what sort of toe or heel flap the pattern called for, I just did my thing at the appropriate time. I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Oh, and then there's this.



Pattern: Atelier, by Heidi Kirrmaier
Yarn: Sterling Ridge Studio Super Squish Sock, in True Heart
Needles: 4 mm / US 6

I realize my photo doesn't do this piece justice, because it's really hard to take a picture of yourself wearing a sweater. I am so, so happy with how this came out. I did some finagling with gauge - the pattern calls for DK, I used fingering, and working the finer yarn at the pattern's gauge gave me a fabric I didn't like, so I changed the gauge and used the directions for a larger size. Yes, this is a quick and dirty way of modifying a project that may not always work out. It worked out well for this one, though, and that's probably going to make me more likely to use the strategy again in the future without any careful checking to make sure things aren't going to go sideways.

I did the 'easier' version, without the I-cord cast on and bind off - I used a Chinese waitress CO and double chain BO instead. Those edges aren't a perfect match for I-cord, to be sure, but to my eye they're pretty complementary - not the same, but still look good together. I went this route because I was playing a bit of yarn chicken, and figured I could save myself some yardage by skipping those start and end I-cords. In the end, I had a decent little cake of yarn left over.

Also, I am absolutely not averse to making myself another one of these. Or two. Or more. I really like it! Also, the fingering weight one is a bit on the light side if it's truly cold weather - I wore it today to go meet a friend for lunch, and I was fine in the restaurant, but today was also above freezing. (Just.) In more wintery conditions, I would have felt a bit chilly probably - sure, inside is temperature controlled, but there's no controlling the icy blasts of air that come swooping in when doors open as people come and go. I'm thinking a version worked up in DK yarn is in my future.

Also maybe more light ones because they'd be awesome in spring/summer/fall. Just sayin'.

Comments