More decisions

So I just finished grafting the toe and weaving in the ends on this:



I am completely delighted with how the first sock turned out - I was worried that doing a heel flap would have not-so-great consequences for the rainbow progression of the coloured stripes, but it worked out well, with one of the greens taking the hit for the heel flap, but there are several greens in the sequence, and the second green still has some blue to it, so it's not a sudden huge jump (or completely missing colour) so the colour motif remains clear. Terrific.

Now, though, I'm not so sure how to proceed. I understand that first I must cast on, and then I can make the second sock happen, and I even remember what kind of cast on I used on the first one (though that wouldn't exactly be hard to check). No, the problem is deciding what kind of second sock I want. Do I want it to match the first one perfectly? I am quite pleased with how the first one came out, and I can easily locate the correct starting point to make that sort of magic a reality. There is, however, a certain charm to matching but non-identical socks. Do I want to do that here? If so, do I pick a different starting point to sort of shift the rainbow so that the stripes remain in the same order, but fall in different places on the socks? If yes, what's the right starting point? I don't want to lose my rainbow. Or do I knit from the other end of the skein, so that the stripes are reversed? If I do that, do I pick a starting point so that a green stripe is still sacrificed to the heel flap? Do I pick a different point and just take the hit of possibly losing a colour in the rainbow? (I'm already strongly inclined to say no to that.) Or do I just cast on with the starting point resulting from cutting the yarn after the first sock, and have socks with different stripes and different colour placements?

So many options. So much to consider.



I'll knit a different sock while I think about it.

Comments