K'done: Sun King hat

Um. I have to catch up?



Pattern: Sun King, by Jenny Faifel
Yarn: madelinetosh tosh dk, in Vanilla Bean
Needles: 5.5 mm / US 9

I, um, finished this one back on 1 December 2018. And I *could* say that the delay in blogging it was because I wanted to wait until I had blocked it, and then gotten some nice photos of it being modelled all fetchingly, and that would have been true for a month or so. But, I've now been slamming the unblocked hat on my head with some degree of regularity for the past month, and so really it needs to be blogged.



The slipped stitch texture on this hat was fun to work, and it doesn't negatively affect the resulting fabric - it's not weirdly dense or stiff, likely thanks to the DK weight yarn and biggish gauge. (Probably also helped that I took care to make sure the floats didn't pull too tightly.) The great big cable on the one side turns out to be a critical touch for someone like me - I tend to not look great in hats, probably because I have a really round head and pretty round face to go with it, but the asymmetry on this one makes everything okay, it seems to cancel the roundness out. Definitely something I will keep in mind for future hats!

Now, a quick survey of pictures I've shared here in the past will reveal something - I shy away from showing my face. I tell myself that you're here for the knitted things anyway, and a not-so-quiet voice in my head says my face isn't worth sharing anyway, and I'm old enough to remember a higher degree of paranoia about sharing personal details - like your face! - on the internet. But, as the saying goes, the times, they are a-changing. If you've found my little online space here, you're more than likely aware of the larger conversation that started in January surrounding racism in the knitting community. I was a few days late to the party, as it were, but I got myself up to speed on what went down, and started having thoughts.

Here's where I ended up: I cannot say for certain that I have suffered or been oppressed by racist attitudes in the knitting community, but I must conclude that I haven't done anything to help counter those attitudes, because I have made myself mostly invisible. Sure, I share that I knit stuff, but it's not at all obvious in most of my images that I am not white. In that sense, I've been contributing to the erasure of non-white knitters (including myself!).

So, despite my low-self-esteem-related discomfort with showing my face in a public space:



Here I am. I knit this.

Comments