K'done: the ridge cardigan

And now back into catching up mode!



Pattern: the ridge, by Jenny Faifel
Yarn: Jojoland Splatter Dash, in, um, blue (sorry, the colour name was a numeric code, and the ballbands are long gone now)
Needles: 5 mm / US 8



Oh man. I bound this one off in June. June. Hello, delinquent knitblogger.

This was a great knit. Then again, I've developed a deep fondness for stockinette and knit-purl texture, which is what this sweater is all about. The pattern is beautifully clear and well-written, so you pretty well cruise through the project. There are some embellishment details that add to the piece's unique character, like the sleeves, which have a sort of scoop-shaped asymmetrical elongation to them, perfect for people like my sister who like for their sweater sleeves to double as hand covers.



There's also a hem cutout detail on both the sleeve cuffs and the bottom hems at the sides that I didn't think to take close pictures of when my sister was wearing it earlier this summer. So, um, here's another shot of the hand covering goodness of the sleeve cuffs.



For reasons that I no longer remember - likely having something to do with yarn chicken - I didn't do as many rows of ribbing at the bottom hem as the pattern instructed. My notes only say that I did "only six", but I didn't think to write down how many I was supposed to do, so I'm not sure how short of the mark that is. I also didn't do buttonholes, since I never planned to put buttons on the piece. My sister was completely on board with this change.

And yes, the blue colour does indeed signal that my sister was the recipient of this knit. She was indeed pleased, and has been wearing it (like in the pictures, which I actually took in August while we were out on Vancouver Island). Let the record show that this sweater is knitted item #5 that she has received this year. And we're not done yet.

Pretty sure this means I'm firmly in the good-sister book.

Tech specs: Chinese waitress COs throughout, double chain BOs throughout. My gauge was actually a bit bigger than called for (20 sts to 4", as opposed to the pattern's 21), so there's a touch more positive ease than the designer intended.

Comments