Screeching halt

This morning, I did a tiny bit of work, and then to reward myself I figured I'd put in a few rounds on my crazy Leyburn socks before moving on to some more work.

I'm nearly done the second sock now, and I picked it up to cruise along a bit. Often I will sort of mentally count off stitches in my head as I go with socks - it's definitely not a careful count, and there are lots of times where I'll be one short or have one extra in my count because I apparently don't count that well if I'm not really paying close attention. If I'm working a motif that could have gone awry in a way that would show up in stitch counts (missed increases or decreases), then I'll quickly double check to make sure that the problem isn't something beyond my casual counting carelessness. If I'm working a motif that is all 'straight' knitting (no increases or decreases needed), then I usually just chalk the wonky numbers up to careless counting and continue motoring along, but start paying a little more attention, and if the same counting error pops up again on the same needle in next round (or, um, the one after), then I'll check more carefully.

Today I got suspicious about a short count on one needle, and investigation revealed I'd dropped a stitch two rounds prior. I briefly considered taking a picture, but then figured no one cares about the fix, which was just to ladder up the dropped stitch. Turned out the fix was a little more complex, because it had happened on a round that involved picking up strands from below to create the quilting effect of the stitch motif, and when I dropped the stitch, that shifted the rest of the pick up points on that needle. (There were three of them.) At that point, however, I had already fixed the dropped stitch, so I just corrected the rest of them with no photographic evidence, and then carried on.

A little while later, it occurred to me that maybe I should check how many pattern repeats I'd done.



I'm not sure how well you can see in that picture, but the answer is (very nearly) seven. The next question is how many repeats were on the foot of sock #1, and the answer there is six. That round that I needed to fix was the second last round I needed to work before starting the toe decreases.

Once I'd ripped back to the right spot, I realized that it's now probably too late for me to be able to finish the work stuff I was going to do (and it's the sort of thing that I like to do all in one shot, to help keep me consistent) before I have to walk out the door, so I guess I'll just get a start on those toe decreases instead.

Comments