K'done: Leyburn(ish) socks

I'm still not really sure how I feel about these socks.



Pattern: Leyburn Socks (sort of), by MintyFresh
Yarn: Sweet Georgia Yarns Tough Love Sock, in Humminbird
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

I swing back and forth between thinking they're completely awesome and thinking they're so eye-searingly wild that the stitch motif doesn't really show. I'm pretty sure this yarn was going to give me singed retinas no matter what I did with it, and I ended up with sort of vague stripes that have blurred edges thanks to the faux quilting, which is close to my probably insane and unrealistic goal of having the colours scattered together throughout the socks, so I think that's supposed to count as a win?



Despite my apparent ambivalence, I really am pleased with how they turned out, and will be happily wearing them - well, probably not for several weeks, really, since it's now sandal season, but you know, maybe sooner rather then later if it gets rainy again.

It should be noted that these socks should not be used to gauge how one feels about the Leyburn pattern, because I didn't follow it - I just yoinked the quilted stitch motif from it. I plonked the quilted stitch in as panels worked over the front and back of the leg, with plain stockinette in between, and because I didn't think things through I didn't properly centre those panels - I should have split the leg into front and back so that there was an odd number of stitches on each, and then I would have been able to truly centre the quilted panels. I also used my own stitch counts, working the legs over 68 sts, and the feet over 64 sts, and I worked these top down, whereas the pattern would have you do them bottom up.



I've knit the pattern in the past, a very long time ago, and had completely forgotten that it's a pretty fun one to work up, and it seems to just fly by. There is some compression of row gauge thanks to the slipped stitch rounds, but you only do that once every four rounds (as opposed to the every other round system typical of slipped stitch patterns), so I didn't get the major pooching out of the sole of the foot that apparently offends my sensibilities. There is a slight rippling of the stockinette panels at the sides of the legs due to the difference in row gauge, but it's entirely possible that blocking will smooth that out.

There may be a plan in the back of my head to make more of these. Like I said, it's fun.

Tech specs: I started with an Italian tubular CO, slammed in an eye of partridge heel flap worked over half the stitches, and finished it off with a rounded wedge toe (decrease every other round six times, then decrease every round five times) and grafted the toes shut with Kitchener stitch, with the two edge stitches on both sides worked together.

In other news - 11 days until TdS 2018!

Comments