K'done: Dory cardigan

At long last, let there be pictures.



Pattern: Dory, by Amy Christoffers
Yarn: Dream in Color Classy, in Tokyo Creme (old Classy)
Needles: 5.5 mm / US 9

For someone who used to turn up her nose at cardigans, I've developed a real soft spot for them - I actually prefer them to pullovers by a really wide margin. I love the way I can toss one on over a plain shirt and suddenly have a top half that is presentable in a professional context. Yes, this means that my wardrobe has become amply populated with plain comfy tees, which I then spruce up for work with a cardi, instead of splitting my shirt inventory between work shirts and not-for-work shirts.

I don't remember the specifics of how I came across this pattern in my searches, but I stumbled across it last summer, I guess - my Rav project page has a (system-generated) note saying that I queued it on 6 June 2017. I didn't actually start it until September, when I wanted something to chug along with as low-key bedtime knitting in the background of the academic year. Also, I wanted another sweater - because I seem to perpetually want more sweaters.



I quite like the texture pattern on this, and am thinking about ramming it into some socks for my father, and maybe some socks for my mother too. Just knits and purls, but deeply satisfying, somehow. The astute will have noticed the lack of buttons, because I know I won't bother buttoning this, so I just left them off entirely. This way I don't get stuck in the pit of needing to go button shopping.

The knitting of this sweater was uneventful, but not in a boring sort of way - it's mostly stockinette, which makes it great for when you're mentally too tired to bother with real thought. Not that this past academic year has been particularly demanding or anything, it's just that after using your brain at work, you kind of want a break from that once you're off the clock. This is not to be taken as a counterargument to those who have suggested a like-cures-like approach for picking projects, wherein people who find themselves in a trying situation find they want particularly demanding, challenging knits to go with them. I suspect the like-cures-like approach works for those scenarios where you're trying to escape from some difficulty - you need something that will more fully engage your mind, to prevent it from worrying or fretting or panicking about whatever it is that is causing you stress. That's not what I needed, I wasn't in any sort of state of emergency or panic. I wanted an unwinding knit - something that would soothe my mind, but not really demand much from it, since I didn't need a distraction from being stuck in panic. A meditation knit, perhaps?

Tech specs: all pieces are knit from the bottom up, so the hem and sleeves are edged by Chinese waitress COs; the neckband and buttonbands are edged with a double-chain BO. The neckband is ever-so-slightly strange at the ends, blocking mostly made them lie flat, but it must be something about the way I pick up stitches (or which strands I used in doing this), because I've seen similar ruffling on other pieces I've done. Despite embarking on this project with some yarn chicken fears, I have plenty of leftovers - at least 50 g, probably enough to do a hat, but since this is the scratchier 'old' Classy, I may not actually bother trying.

Comments