K'done: white light wrap

I know, I know. I said I'd try to be here more, and then I disappear for 12 days. Most of my holdup was due to a profound absence of pictures, but I was able to remedy that today, and now I can show you a finished thing.



Pattern: white light, by Jenny Faifel
Yarn: Fleece Artist Nyoni, in Earth (MC - the darks) and Pewter (CC - the greys)
Needles: ...I don't know. I somehow didn't put this in my Rav project page. I *think* I used a 3.75 mm / US 5, but I'm not super sure.



I finished this on 30 April, and re-stowed my interchangeable circular that I used for it, which is why the needle size detail is so fuzzy for me. The pattern suggests a 3.75 mm / US 5 needle, and while normally I don't use the recommended needle owing to my tighter knitting style, I think for a wrap I figured it wouldn't matter too much. The gauge called for is 20 sts to 4" in garter stitch, and I'm quite sure I didn't get that that's absolutely what I got in the blocked piece (this shocks me - for stockinette I'd need to use a 5 mm / US 8 needle to get that gauge) so hooray for that.

This was a MKAL, and in my usual fashion, I was a terrible MKAL participant. I didn't share progress pictures in the spoilers thread - mostly because I couldn't figure my way around taking them in a way that made my work look good, as nice sunshine and time to take advantage of available sunshine didn't coordinate well throughout April. Either I had some time but there was no sun, or the sun was glorious but I was at work. Today, though, came together nicely.

This MKAL also saw me fail to follow instructions and fall behind in my progress. I got myself caught up - not quite enough to finish before the designer's reveal, but I got it done that day, so maybe it counts?



I'm really pleased with the result - there are sections of two-row garter stripes, sections with a dropped stitch pattern, sections with some eyelet lace, and some sections of pure garter stitch. It all chugs along smoothly, and if you're someone who is prone to boredom, this wrap may offer up enough change to keep you from feeling the slog that can come on with larger projects. (You may recall that I found section 2 a bit long, but that can be wholly attributed to the fact that I had to knit it twice because I goofed.) I ended up using absolutely all of my main colour, running out at the end so the very tip of the wrap jumps back to grey for a bit - you can see it best in the first picture in this post, on the right hand side.



Yep, this was a good one - which is why, with a great sigh of regret, after taking the pictures, I folded it up and placed it in the gift stash. This piece is not for me. I can't wear it - the yarn has mohair in it, and I am apparently sensitive to mohair. I bought this yarn years and years ago, before I knew anything, really, and it seems fine enough to the touch, but as soon as it gets against the skin of my neck, arms, shoulders, it suddenly feels coarse and prickly, and wildly uncomfortable. Even the few minutes to snap the finished pictures was enough to set me itching. Now I know better, and I don't buy anything with mohair in it. But I had this yarn languishing in the stash, waiting for its destiny. It feels good to have used it, and I think this wrap is a future gift for Mister's mother, but I am left wrapless, and a little sad about it.

I guess I'll have to make another. The design was intended to help with using up scrappy sock remnants - maybe that's where I'll find mine?

Comments