You again?

A couple of weeks ago, my sister brought back a sweater I'd made her last summer, with a request to lengthen the sleeves a bit.



I decided to finally get it done on Saturday. As I unpicked the bound off edge of the first sleeve, I marveled at how much previously knitted yarn looks like ramen, briefly wondered if a knitting technique could be used to get the right effect for homemade ramen, then quickly set that notion aside as way more effort than I am willing to put into culinary endeavours. New yarn was joined on using a Russian join, extra rounds of 1x1 rib were added on, and then the stitches were bound off again.



Repeat for sleeve #2.

After I took that picture, I smooshed and stretched the ribbing around to even it out some - not too sure why I didn't take a picture after I'd done that. Most likely an issue relating to the disappearance of light. Either way, can't do anything about it now, since the sweater has once again gone home with my sister.

Returning to a previously finished knit takes some mental fortitude. Much like a second sleeve or second sock, but to a greater degree - here sits a completed knit in your hands, and you work to return it to an unfinished state. I'm glad it's done. It feels a bit like I have put in my time as penance for this:



Um. Yeah. That's a skein of Fleece Artist Nyoni that I was winding to prepare for an upcoming MKAL. It's a giant skein - 250 g - and probably more than my ballwinder can handle, but I made it work, since the only alternate option available to me was to wind it by hand, which I was unwilling to do. I got most of the way through the skein before that thing happened, where the remaining yarn's gravity is overcome, and yarn no longer pulls off nicely but drags a loop or two along with it, and eventually leads to snarling. (The yarn becoming snarled, not me snarling - that comes a bit later.) I slow down, and try to pause to deal with the snarls as they develop, but somewhere along the way I lose patience, typically in the very last stretch of the skein, but this skein is rather bigger than a typical 100 g skein, so my patience ran out too early, and the snarls were pretty bad a fair bit before the yarn was all wound. What you see in that image is the result of me having decided to try for a 'gravity assist' and toss the remaining yarn on the floor - as if I could knock the snarls out or something. It totally didn't work. (I didn't really think it would, but I was hoping for a miracle.) It took me a full hour to figure that mess out, working from the other end of the yarn so I could pass the yarn through various loops in the untangling effort.

I'd say I've learned my lesson, but I know me. It's totally going to happen again. I actually think I'm probably okay with that.

Comments