K'done: Valanar hat

Hmm, I seem to have forgotten to blog this one.



Pattern: Valanar Hat, by Elena Nodel
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Worsted, in Merlot Heather
Needles: 5 mm / US 8

I knit this hat back in, oh, January - according to my Rav notes, I got it done in about a week, using a couple of skeins leftover from my Thursday Special sweater. (Another one by the same designer - apparently I rather like her design aesthetic. Sadly, her battle with cancer ended in tragedy just last month.) I'd actually done it to participate in a KAL at the time, but I think I started too late and missed the deadline or something.



It was a fairly quick knit - generally hats are, no? The cable pattern is intuitive enough that you can avoid being a chart slave, and it seems to me to be a pretty unisex sort of cable - maybe there will be a Mister hat done using this pattern in the future? I'll have to have him take a closer look at it. One thing about bigger cables is they tend to leave holes behind in the fabric where the stitches cross, and sometimes these let wind through, and he has strong feelings about that with his hats. Understandably, but it sure makes it tricky to find a hat pattern he likes that isn't just ribbing from brim to crown.

TdS 2017 in 6 days!

Comments