K'done: Entanglements socks

Aaaaaand here's the home stretch!



Pattern: Entanglements, by ShaylaMyst
Yarn: Invictus Yarns Master of My Feet, in Ambitious
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

Cables? Cables!

These socks were a fun knit, though I didn't get them done as quickly as I'd hoped. The pattern is written as an embrace-the-random sort of pattern - you set up 7 cables on the toe of the sock, then for each cable cross round, you use a randomizer to pick out 3 cables, and flip a coin to determine the crossing direction of each cable. Neat concept, though I found I didn't care for a truly random execution - and in some cases, you have to un-random things to get something that works. (For example, two adjacent cables can't cross towards each other at the same time.) One of my socks is closer to true random, the second is more pseudorandom - I allowed for random selection of the cables, but controlled the crossing direction so that I could avoid two adjacent cables moving in the same direction, or avoiding two cables coming together. (The pattern has directions for how to handle two cables coming together for those who prefer to stick closer to true random, but I just didn't use it for the second sock.)



These are done toe-up, but nothing in the pattern hinges on that, so if a person were more inclined to do a top-down version, they'd have no trouble. There may be a pair of these in my sister's future. And maybe my mother's future.

Comments