Smackdown, part 2

So yesterday I put on The Incredibles to watch while I cranked out the heel of my sister's sock. The heel flap emerged, I turned the heel, picked up for the gussets, did some counting to place the gusset decreases - everything was going according to plan.

Then, because I am me, I picked up the first sock, and held the two together to double check that they matched. This is what I saw:



Note: yes, I was sitting in the driver's seat of my car when I snapped this image. No, I was not driving. That is insane. I do not knit while driving. I was parked and waiting for someone. I noticed the problem just before leaving the house, and took the sock with me in the event I would have to wait. Turned out to be a good thing, because I ended up waiting for about an hour.

Doesn't look quite right, does it?



The heels don't seem to line up. Sadly, it's not an optical illusion:



When the heels are lined up, the tops are off.



This is where I got confused. Well, okay, I was clearly confused about something else earlier. But at first, I couldn't work out how the socks didn't match in leg height, since I take notes while working the first sock to make sure the second sock matches. Always. And I definitely consulted my notes to make sure I worked the leg to the same length. I'm particular enough to actually count the number of rows worked and record that, I remembered seeing 60 on my pattern page. So I'd worked 60. So what happened?

I did a recount of the first sock. 68.

Aha! I must have had a typo incident when I entered my notes. I went back to my pattern page to check the number I'd entered.

68.

Oh. No typo.

So where did 60 come from?

The only answer I can come up with is my eyes registered the 6 and the vaguely round shape of the 8 and then autocorrected it to 60, because for some reason my mind was fixated on multiples of 10.

Either way. Ripped out my partial gusset and heel, worked an additional 8 rounds on the leg, then redid the heel flap and heel turn. Now I'm ready to begin the gussets. Again.

Guess what I'll be doing today?

Comments