K'done: Wingspan scarf

Uhm. Happy New Year?



Pattern: Wingspan, by Maylin Tan
Yarn: Noelle's Noodles 100% Merino Superwash Fingering Weight, in Man with a Guitar
Needles: 5 mm / US 8

I snagged a copy of this pattern while it was still available for free - before the whole kerfuffle with Trendsetter Yarns that prompted the designer to change the way the pattern was offered. Apparently there's an upgraded version that can now be purchased, but I don't know what's in it since I worked off the old freebie. I didn't do any modifications - spent most of the time worrying about whether I'd have enough yardage to complete the seven triangles! Clearly, I did have enough - there's a small ball of leftovers here. Not enough for another triangle, but I made it with some room to spare. I didn't wrap my short row turn stitches, so there are little decorative eyelets along one edge of each triangle. I maintained the 16 stitch stagger between triangles, and I used the Chinese Waitress CO for all CO stitches.

That picture up there is the best that I could do at the time. Actually, I lie. I could have done better if I'd used the DSLR, but I am lazy and used my iPhone's camera instead. So there's not much detail to it, and the blue is likely a bit more blue than in real life. I did try to take another, and it's up on my Rav project page, but I don't like the result enough to share it here.

I enjoyed this knit - garter stitch with some interesting shaping going on - and my gauge was 20 stitches to 4"/10 cm, which is pretty loose for fingering weight yarn, so the scarf is pretty floppy and drapey - in my mind, that's what you'd want for a scarf. I never measured the length of the thing before handing it off to my sister. I must admit, I'm a bit ambivalent about the finished product - it's nice-looking laid out on the floor there, but I'm unsure as to how one might wear the thing. I'll let my sister puzzle over that one.

But anyway. This scarf was the one lone project that actually got wrapped up in the 2013 Winter Wrap-Up. All the other candidates are still on the needles. So much for that urge!

Fear not, though - there's another thing started and finished since the calendar rolled over blocking upstairs!

Comments