K'done: Mayne Island Hat

Another month come and gone? Already? Hey, look, a finished hat!



Pattern: Mayne Island Hat, by Caitlin ffrench
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Vintage, in Thicket
Needles: 5.5 mm / US 9

This was a very zen knit. Knit, purl, knit, purl, for all of perpetuity. Given my history, you might think this would be precisely the sort of knit that would just drag on forever for me, as I pointedly ignore it for periods of time, but it actually didn't. For one thing, while extended stretches of twisted 1x1 rib make me see in vivid technicolour rainbows of rage, all the 1x1 rib in the world does not seem to have that same effect. For another, now that I've changed up my technique and now knit with the yarn carried in my left hand, wound about my index finger for tension, the transition from knit to purl and back again is a bit smoother, making for more enjoyable knitting time.

That being said? It was a lot of 1x1 rib, with no shaping or anything to break it up. A great pattern for a beginner who wants a hat but is scared to death of working shaping. Not that a person should be afraid of such things. But I know that some folks like to take baby steps in their learning - I think this pattern would be a great way for someone to make the transition into learning how to knit in the round without having to worry about shaping, and still end up with a usable item at the end of the day.



I knit it pretty well exactly as written - the pattern is pretty free-form, which beginners actually may not appreciate. I knit until I had a tube that was - oh, bother, how long was it now? 12"? 14"? Something like that. The pattern says to stop once you have about 3 yards remaining, but I stopped earlier than that, because I thought my hat-tube was plenty long already. I also omitted the three decorative buttons, because apparently finding and attaching buttons is a major obstacle for me. If I end up stumbling upon buttons I like in the future, I can always sew them on later.

I am pretty pleased with the result, because I don't hate the way this hat looks on me, which is awesome. Now I have three hats that I don't hate. Maybe I'll finally become one of those sensible Canadians who remembers to grab a hat on the way out the door in winter.

Yes. I know that hat season is pretty well over. That's okay. I know it will come back. And when it does, I'll be ready.

Comments