K'done: Botanical Cowl

D'oh, it happened again - more than a month since my last post. Working really cramps my hobby time.



At least I've got something finished to show you.

Pattern: Botanical Cowl, by Megan Goodacre
Yarn: Claudia Hand Painted Yarns Fingering, in Chocolate Cherries
Needles: 4.5 mm / US 7



I know - the colours are sort of hazed out in these photos. That's because of the way the sun was coming in through the front door's window as I snapped these shots with my iPhone in the remaining light of the day after getting home from work. A professional photographer I am not.

I want to say I followed the pattern, but that would be a bit of a lie. First, I used fingering weight yarn instead of sport - not a huge difference, I don't think, but it is a difference nonetheless. I targeted the same gauge as listed in the pattern - 5.5 sts to the inch - but I wanted a larger circumference on the cowl, so I cast on 160 sts. I worked the ribbing as instructed, then switched to the eyelet pattern. I wanted to maximize my yarn usage - I had bought two 50 g skeins with the intent of turning them into socks, but changed my mind about that plan since 100% merino sock yarns give me socks that only last one season - so I continued with the eyelets through 7.5 pattern repeats, where the pattern instructs you to do only 4.5.

It feels as though I followed the pattern faithfully, since all I did was embiggen, but I suppose that still means that I did not knit it precisely as written.

I'm quite pleased with the result - at various intervals I was worried that the yarn was too variegated and I'd end up with an interesting textile piece that doesn't really suit my work wardrobe, which I wanted to enrich with this cowl, but in the end it seems just fine. I got a few compliments and nice comments about it when I wore it to work earlier this week. If I were a more careful knitter I would have alternated the skeins a bit at the joining point, or throughout the entire cowl, but I decided to take it on faith that any colour differences would be masked by the variegation in the yarn. What that really means is my lazy self immediately rejected the notion of alternating throughout, and then I just plain forgot to alternate for a bit at the switching point. Indeed, the two skeins are different enough that I think I can see where the switch happened when the cowl is lying flat, like when blocking. When I'm wearing it, though, I can't see it at all, so I'm not going to worry about it at all.

Yes, I still need to snap pictures of that sweater I finished way back in January. I think I need a new plan for that - I tried for some a little while back, but ran into a problem with fitting the sweater in the frame of the phone's camera while I'm wearing it and maintaining a flattering posture. I may have to concede defeat and just lay it out on the floor. Hmmm.

I've also got another cowl that should be finished pretty soon - Someone Else has been playing video games, and I like to watch him play, and I also like to knit while I watch him play. In fact, this cowl was started while he was playing Spec Ops: The Line, though I started when he was roughly halfway through the game, so it was finished after the gameplay had ended. Still, because of what was going on in the room while I worked on it, when I look at those enlarged eyelets? I see bullet holes.

Comments