K'done: Phloem Socks

Spring themed socks. Just in time for winter. Can I time these or what?



Pattern: Phloem Socks, by Rachel Coopey
Yarn: Yummy Yarn Studio 75/25 Merino Nylon Sock, in Lavender
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

I cast on for the first of these socks while on vacation with my family in Hawaii this past summer. I finished the first sock on the plane ride back to North America, cast on for its mate a few days later at home, and then, well. Largely ignored the second sock for a long time.



That there is a close-up shot of the first sock. I'm really happy with how it came out. But the delay between the first sock and its mate worked against me - here's a close-up of the second sock:



See that? The centered double decreases are different. I looked at the chart, saw the symbol for the CDD, but forgot that these were of the truly symmetrical CDD variety - the slip-2-as-if-to-k2tog-k1-pass-both-slipped-stitches-over variety, which tucks the decreased-away stitches behind the centre stitch. Had I actually consulted the pattern and looked over the pattern notes again, I would have figured it out. Instead I worked the slip-1-k2tog-psso variety, which is also centered, but not really symmetrical, since that one slipped stitch ends up crossing both of the other stitches involved in the decrease. So on sock #1, the tips of the buds and leaves flow organically into the stems of the next, whereas on sock #2, the buds and leaves all have defined tips.



Had I figured it out while still working the leg, I probably would have ripped out and started over to match. Instead, I noticed the discrepancy as I was starting the toe decreases, and I was really impatient to have a pair of socks finished, and it really didn't seem worth it to shred nearly an entire sock back to the starting point to make it match its mate perfectly when the pattern is mirrored across the two socks anyway. They were going to be fraternal no matter what.

So I left it.

And I am happy to report that the socks, despite having mismatched CDDs, still function perfectly well as socks.

The yarn was great - the one saving grace had I decided to redo the second sock would have been that I could keep playing with that yarn. It was nice and smooth, yet soft, and the colour just screamed to be made into flower-themed socks, even if I'm not usually drawn to particularly flowery lace motifs.

Hooray for more socks!

Comments

Post a Comment