K'done: Commuter Mitts

'Tis the season for things to keep hands warm.



Pattern: Commuter Fingerless Mittens, by Stephanie Sun
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss HW, in Mahogany
Needles: 4 mm / US 6



These were a fun, quick little knit - the pair took me only four days from start to finish! While some Canadians might mock me for making these since they don't really keep fingers very warm, I would argue that they are quite good at keeping my hands warm - they make for a nice layer between me and the cold steering wheel of my car, and they also keep me from having to touch all the door handles I come across as I trek from my car to my office - plus I still have full tactile sensation and mobility of my fingers, which I value quite highly. My usual solution is to just skip hand coverings altogether so that I can use my fingers the way I want to. Fingerless mitts seem a better option.

Plus, they're cute!



I shortened the wrist portion, as I don't like super long hand coverings since they start to interfere with my coat sleeves, so I omitted one repeat of the cable. Possibly I could have omitted two, as they still get pushed up a bit by my sleeves, but it's okay. They are a bit baggy around the wrists - I think I would prefer a sleeker fit at the wrist with some thumb gusset increases. Before anyone points to my needle size as the culprit for baggier mitts, I would like to state that my gauge on 4 mm needles is typically around 24 sts/4". Since this yarn is a heavy worsted/aran yarn, I may have been getting closer to 22 sts/4" - an informal check with my thumb suggests that I was getting something closer to 5.5 sts/inch. My gauge was still denser than the one listed on the pattern. Also, the sample shots all involve baggy wrists too. The mitts were designed that way.

I also didn't bother with the smaller buttons to close the mitts over the fingers, figuring the odds of me doing that are pretty slim. If need be, I can add them later.

All in all, I am happy with the outcome, and my hands are warmer than they would be otherwise.

Comments