Goings-on

Well, August has pretty well come and gone. I mean, I don't mean to cause panic, but we're definitely shifting into late August here.

The end of August marks the end of my summer - I will be starting up new teaching contracts, officially on 8 September, but I will need to go down to campus to get some things set up ahead of time. Things like course outlines. Soon I will be back to the grind.

In the meantime, I am still knitting over here. Sure, there may not be pictures to show for it, but that doesn't mean the needles aren't moving. The August SSP socks are going, though a bit more slowly than I had anticipated - I've just turned the heel on the first one, so it's at that weird stage where pictures just look like an unholy mess. Meep. I wasn't too worried about making them happen by the end of the month because I was anticipating a couple of four hour flights in late August, but those don't appear to be needed anymore, and suddenly I am worried about finishing the pair of socks.

So. I claim to be knitting, but am also behind on the August SSP socks. So what's been going on?

Well, for starters, a sweater for my sister that should have been a quick knit had a second hissy fit and needed to be reworked. Really, the hissy fit was entirely my fault - I was experimenting with alternating skeins as I prepared to switch to a new skein of yarn, and the method I used successfully on sweaters worked in lighter weights is not well-suited to worsted weight yarn. Also, I found another fairly large cake of the yarn that had been tucked away and somehow forgotten, and that made me mad, since larger cakes meant fewer joins, and I wanted to avoid having to do a join in the yoke, and not having that extra cake had forced me to do one, and, well. The sweater was yanked back, and then reknit. Again. So I've basically knit that sweater three times now, and I. Am. Done. It's actually blocking. Once the ends are woven in, a couple of small seams are sewn, and the buttons have been attached, I can give it to my sister and have it out of my life.

Also, I've been working on another sweater for me - pictures will come. It's a Safire cardigan, and it is my hope that this will be a good layering piece for work. Given that the sweater is cropped and has 3/4-length sleeves, it also seems to me to be a piece that is ideal for early fall, or spring - so if I want to wear it this fall, and I do, then it needs to be finished up. Quickly.

So there you have a quick and dirty, pictureless update on the wooly goings-on around here. No new yarn has been ordered yet, but I feel the urge. I will be strong and wait for sales.

I cannot say that I will exercise restraint once those sales hit, though.

Comments