K'done: Wurm Hat

Hats are quick knits, but not as quick as I had been hoping.



Pattern: Wurm, by katushika
Yarn: Knit Picks City Tweed HW, in Cottontail
Needles: 5 mm / US 8

I have four knit hats in my closet - two are actually the same hat but in different colours - but I never wear any of them, because I don't like the way they look on me. I think they kind of make me look like I have a mushroom for a head. I don't really want to look like a mushroom, so I don't bother grabbing a hat on my way out the door. This wouldn't be an issue if I lived somewhere where the winter climate isn't very harsh.

I, however, live in Alberta, Canada. This land is not exactly known for its balmy winters.

I'd been sort of toughing it out hatless this winter, but then the temperature plummeted to -20 C, -27 C with windchill, and I realized that pretending I didn't need a hat was just a stupid plan. I really should have a hat that I will happily wear to keep my head warm, and there are tons of hat patterns out there, so I should just buckle down and find one that works.

And then the Yarn Harlot Stephanie Pearl-McPhee blogged about her woes in finding hats that look good, and posted photos of her new hat - the Wurm. And I saw that and thought, Well maybe that will work for my noggin too?

So I dug out some leftover yarn, some DPNs, and cast on, thinking that I could probably wing this out in one night. Ha! Maybe if I had had four or five hours of uninterrupted knitting time, that might have been possible. Instead, I kept having to put it down to get up and do stuff, like make dinner, eat dinner, sleep, wash myself, go to work, and all those other nuisance things. So it took three days instead of one.



Now, it is done, but not blocked, in part because I want to be able to wear it right away, in spite of not leaving the house either yesterday or today - guess I could have blocked it after all - but also because I'm not terribly sure how to block this sucker. I guess I'll have to figure it out when it gets its first wash.

Very nice pattern, though making the brim has a letdown moment at the end because you knit and knit and knit, and then you purl a round, then you knit knit knit some more, then you do a round of slightly fiddly tacking into place, and then when you are all satisfied and proud of yourself because you've reached a milestone in the pattern - you don't have as much hat as you think you should have, because it's all folded in on itself. I also couldn't get as tight of a fastening off of the remaining stitches at the end as I would have liked, because there were so many of them! If I were to do this one again, I might add another round of decreases.

In the meantime, though, I have a hat! My head will be warm(er) from now on!

Well, for the remainder of this winter, at any rate.

Comments