Thoughts on a new year

Well, the calendar has rolled over on us once again, and we have all mentally hit our reset buttons and jumped right into 2011.

Happy New Year everyone!

I don't typically go for New Year's resolutions, but I've made one for the knitting side of things - sort of. I decided that this year, I will be completely and utterly selfish and knit myself a pair of socks a month. I am calling this the Selfish Sock Project.

Why? Because I seriously need more socks. The pattern so far has been that I'll notice I need socks, panic, knit up a few pair, relax, then move on to something else, and then the cycle repeats after a few pair end up with holes and I'm back at the panic part. (It didn't help that I knit up several pairs of socks in a yarn that I've discovered is really not durable. Each pair lasted about five months. Knit at 8 sts per inch. Seems a reasonable sock gauge, but not a particularly reasonable lifespan for a sock in Canada.) I'm not keen on the panic part. I figure if I just keep on knitting myself socks for an entire year, I can go back to producing a pair every couple of months or so and not end up in sock panic anymore.

I set up the tags for my projects in Ravelry, created an organizing set for all these socks, and even assigned a few patterns in my queue to the upcoming next few months. I didn't go as far as assigning yarns, but once I've finished January's socks, I'll start thinking about what yarn to use for February.

Who am I kidding? I've already had some thoughts on that.

I'm pretty excited about this goal for 2011. We'll see if I can keep on top of it without falling apart in some other domain of my life.

So. January's socks are the Early Spring socks, by Janice Kang, knit up in Knit Picks Stroll Kettle Dyed Sock Yarn in Wine.

Thus far I have a toe. And half of the first pattern repeat. That's not worth photographing, so you get nothing to look at. I hereby promise to post a picture when I have something worth photographing. Well, something that is at least identifiable as a sock in a particular pattern.

Comments