K'done: Midsummer Night's Dream Socks

Rather autumnal looking socks, just in time for summer.


Pattern: Midsummer Night's Dream, by Natalie Bursztyn Yarn: The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes in Mordor Needles: 2.75 mm / US 2 A fun sock pattern, with a few minor tweaks for my usual 56 stitch sock. I was a bit worried that the leaves would stick out too much, what with all the extra stitches that are created to shape them, but the side profile's not so bad:

 

 If I were to do it again, which could happen, though not necessarily for a while, I think I'd change the way the decreases were done. All the decreases are ktogs - either k2tog or k3tog. I think I'd swap out the k2tog for an ssk on the left edge of each leaf - I like the way the decreases that lean towards the outside edge of the leaf give that edge a gently curled, almost puffy sort of look, rather than a defined line of decreases that follows the edge of the leaf. When I first started working the charts, I was surprised that the leaf tips weren't centered double decreases, but looking at the completed socks now, I think I'd leave them as k3togs. And now? Honestly, now I think I'm taking a break from socks. It's not that I'm tired of them, it's just that this pair and the last have both sort of felt like obstacles. I've got a serious sweater knitting bug these days. We'll see how things go. I may be feeling more socky once I wrap up a cardigan for myself. Or not. I'll just take it one skein at a time.

Comments