There's that learning curve again

Earlier this past week, I cast on for Shur'tugal. I didn't spend much time on it - picked it up in a few odd moments while working. I knit up the toe, then when it was time to start the actual pattern, I looked at my printed out pages at home. Right on page 2 was a little chart, the "Wickerwork Pattern" chart. I grabbed that page, stuck it in my handbag, and then the next day, while at work, I used that chart as a guide and worked my way through one pattern repeat.

Then I started the second repeat. Today, I picked up the sock and continued in on the second repeat, but halfway through it I looked at the fabric and had the uneasy feeling that it didn't look right. I started rooting around in Ravelry, and sure enough, everyone else's socks didn't look like mine. So I went back to the pattern, and read past the little chart.

Oh. There's a leg chart, where the wickerwork chart is arranged so that it actually creates the fabric showcased in all the pictures. And oh, there's a special toe chart too, so that the toe actually flows into the patterned fabric instead of a jarring transition from stockinette to wickerwork.

Rip rip rip. Let's try that again, shall we?

Lesson learned: when a pattern has more than one page, look at all of the pages so that you actually know what the instructions are.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a toe to re-knit.

Comments