K'done: Damson Shawlette

Charmed, I'm sure.



Pattern: Damson, by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Dream In Color Smooshy, in In Vino Veritas
Needles: 4 mm / US 6



I knit one of these for my sister last year, November-ish, and I was pretty sure I wanted one for myself, but I really didn't know what to do about the yarn. This shawlette uses more than your average skein of sock yarn - a survey of my small stash tells me that sock yarns tend to come with somewhere roundabout 400 yards to 100 g, and this shawlette needs more than that. I had originally intended for this skein of Smooshy to become a pair of socks, but had a change of heart and decided to put it towards this pattern instead - Smooshy comes with 450 yards to 100 g, so it all worked out just fine. I had 13 g to spare.



I really like this pattern, too. It's dead easy to knit, and the end result is so simple yet elegant. I am absolutely going to be throwing this on over tops to dress them up for work (worn the way I've got it in that first shot up there), and I can also see myself using it to cover up tops that might otherwise be a bit too low-cut for work.

And I totally want to make myself another one. Trouble is, at this precise moment, I don't have any more Smooshy, and all my stashed sock yarns are either in quantities to small to make it work, or they've got nylon in them, in which case I want to save them for socks.

So at present, I have no sweater for me on the needles - still haven't worked up the nerve to cast on for the Geodesic Cardigan, though now I'm starting to think I might do something else first, just don't know what yet - and I have no shawlette for me on the needles either.

This strikes me as weird. I should fix that.

Comments