K'done: Six Tastes socks

Gah. So behind.



Pattern: Six Tastes, by Hypercycloid Designs
Yarn: Invictus Yarns Unconquerable Sole BFL, in Raspberry Creme, and Knit Picks Stroll, in Black
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

A photo posted by Jen (@pikaknit) on



I've realized that I sort of inadvertently deleted a bunch of photos when I needed to clear space on my phone to update an app a couple of weeks ago - I was rushing, and thought I was in the right place to delete device copies only, but apparently not! Good thing I have most of these shots on Instagram as well. I'll be going through and putting those back as best I can.

What do I remember, three weeks later? Let's see.

1. These are worked using mosaic knitting - you work with one yarn each round, slipping stitches as needed to make the pattern. So, work one round with MC, slipping any stitches that are supposed to be in CC, and on the next round you work with CC, slipping any stitches that are supposed to be in MC. I'd done a little mosaic in the past, but these socks kept it up for the entire sock, save the cuff and toe.

2. These socks maintained the colourwork through the heel and over the sole of the foot too. I like the visual effect, but I'm not sure the heel worked out to be the right shape for my feet - it's a little pouchy. We'll have to see how it wears, because I have not yet really worn the socks.

3. Reading your knitting with mosaic is not exactly like reading your knitting otherwise. I've gotten to be pretty competent with reading my knitting more generally, but the first leg of the first sock here was hard, because I was having trouble reading my knitting, and consequently was getting lost in the charts. I got it sorted eventually, and thankfully that was at some point on the foot of the first sock, because I was blowing a lot of time and getting frustrated with trying to sort out what was going on on my needles.

That being said, it is a really fun pattern. It's a choose-your-own-adventure type, meaning you have several different charts to choose from, and you can mix and match to make lots of different pairs of socks from a single pattern. I opted for matching motifs on my socks, but gave some serious thought to mixing the patterns - for someone who really likes matching things, I have an odd soft spot for this sort of non-matching matching, where the socks clearly go together as a set, but they're not completely identical. I've got a mind to make myself some more, using the other available charts, but that plan will have to wait until I figure out whether the funky patterned heel fits me well enough.

Comments