Wind-a-palooza

My sister was able to arrive at a decision before I could, so I got some yarn winding done.



I've even cast on, too, but haven't gotten far enough with it to make a picture really worthwhile. The other night, I worked a couple of rows of the sweater, then didn't want to look at the pattern to get the next line of instruction, so instead transitioned to a sock I've started, and my sister sure noticed - she asked me what I had transitioned to, despite the fact that the thing is fairly obviously a sock. It's sock yarn on 2.25 mm needles with a smallish circumference - what else would it be? She's been watching me knit for over 10 years now - she should know a sock when she sees one. I just laughed. She may have been trying to point out my freewheeling yarny ways to sort of shame me into being a little more dedicated to her sweater, but too bad - I'm not her personal knitting machine. Besides, 2018's been really good to her so far - she's already gotten two pairs of socks and a shawl. That's one thing for each month, and as much as I enjoy knitting for her, I enjoy knitting for me too.

Besides, she's going to be getting yet another pair of socks pretty soon. Before the magical self-striping yarn came at Christmas, I started socks with some Knit Picks Stroll Multi. The first sock got done before the holidays.



It striped, as I hoped it would - with these variegated skeins, if the circumference is right the colour runs line up to produce somewhat wobbly stripes. It'll do. I started the second one more recently:



It's striping too, but do you see that?



They're not striping the same way - the second one is getting thicker stripes than the first one did. I'd suspect different dye lots, but I can't verify that - don't know where the ball bands go to - and even if I could, there's nothing I can do about it now, as the yarn is now discontinued, and trying to hunt down a matching ball is tricky business if I can't figure the dye lot to begin with. After the super matchy striping socks, this is a bit of a bummer. I suppose I could try playing with the colour runs - cutting and rejoining to make it work, but the runs are so short that trying to force them to my will would be a colossal pain. I'm declaring that officially not worth it.

That snarly skein of yarn is still waiting for its destiny - I'm using it in an upcoming MKAL, paired with another colourway:



That won't start until 2 April, which is also a bit of a bummer, because I initially thought it would start on 18 March and was all excited - hence the impatient winding. Now it's gotta wait for another week.

I wonder if I can get those non-matching stripy socks done before the MKAL kicks off?

Comments