K'done: the autumn stone cowl

Thing the fourth!



Pattern: the autumn stone, by Reiko Kuwamura
Yarn: madelinetosh tosh dk, one-off colourway
Needles: 4.5 mm / US 7

This was the second cowl I knit while in BC in August. Another four day knit. Holidays are awesome.



This knit features a pick-up-a-stitch-below motif that stretches out those picked up stitches, causing the fabric to buckle and warp while creating a serpentine, cable-like effect. The result is a dense, textured fabric that doesn't have much lateral stretch. When the cowl is flipped inside out, you can see the wrong-side effect of all that warping: columns of little pillows, looking all enticing and inviting.



The pattern includes detailed instructions and pictures to try and clarify how one works the picked-up stitch, but some of the wording I found a bit puzzling - namely, at one point, she instructs you to pick up from 'the wrong side', but that's clearly wrong, judging from the images of the sample piece and other finished objects on Rav. It may just be a small translation hiccup - I don't speak Japanese, so I'm not sure what the original phrase might have been.

I made a small modification to the pattern, in that I worked fewer rounds of ribbing at both ends of the cowl - at the beginning because I was impatient about getting to the showcase stitch, and at the end to have the two ends match, and also to allow for as many repeats of the showcase stitch as I could with the yardage I had. I managed to squeeze in 6 sets of crosses. Because the fabric is so dense, it tends to stand up when I wear it, but the yarn is soft and the gauge isn't actually tight, so the piece doesn't feel stiff or firm.



Tech specs: Chinese Waitress CO, double chain BO.

I'm debating making this part of my first-day-of-classes ensemble, but we'll see. I'm not committed to anything yet, wardrobe wise. Though I should probably figure it out soon - tomorrow's the day!

Comments

  1. Hi, I'd like to knit the Autumn Stone as a rectangular scarf do you have a pattern chart to knit it. Thanks
    Meg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment